Thursday, February 5, 2009

10 reasons why I think I can live without my TV



So my TV died this morning. I did my usual routine, got up, had a glass of water, made coffee, ran for 30 minutes, took a shower, sat down to watch the morning news with my freshly brewed joe, turned on the TV, turned on the TV, turned on the TV... Damn, it's broken. I'll admit it, there was a short moment of panic.

Let's face it, TV is an American icon. Everybody has one, or three. When I was groing up in France, we only had one TV and three chanels. TV was more of a family affaire, tonight is western night! Eat early (at the table of course) and then settle down for special familly time in front of the tube. It's different here. TV is part of US culture. I'm sure times have changed in France as well, but when I go back it's not the same feeling.

Can I go without my TV? I have no idea... I'm not planning on getting another one any time soon, so I've been thinking all day about things I can do to fill in all that time I was spending on the couch watching subpar programs.

Here's a quick list I came up with:

1. Blog - I'm new at this but now seems like the perfect time to do it consistently.

2. Exercise - It must be a sign! As I'm dedicating more time to my body fitness, my TV goes out of service. Thanks for the help silver screen, I get it.

3. Get out of the house - I know I work a lot during the week and I try to go to bed early, but I believe it would do me much good to walk down to the coffee shop with the laptop and spend an hour outside my appartment.

4. Call my friends - I am terrible at keeping in touch. People will leave me voicemails and I will never get back to them. Take five minutes and make a round of phone calls just to say "hey, how have you been?"

5. Music - My number one passion in life, now I can listen to it all them time. Just got the Zune pass too so there are unlimited possibilities.

6. Start a project - I used to do this one all the time in college, except back then it was to avoid classes and homework. Now I can spend more time building things again.

7. Read - I do it every night, but most of the time I'm so tired that after two pages my eyes are already closed. Kind of hard finishing a book two pages at the time.

8. Cleaning - Wow my house is dusty...

9. Walks - I live downtown Raleigh and there are so many things to do and see downtown. No need to spend money, some of the buildings alone are worth the stroll.

10. Make money - Anybody wants to buy a big TV for repair?

Could you do it?

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get your TV back...I think I can't do without Twitter...and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's been a few days and so far so good! I have to admit, I'm getting addicted to blogging as well

    ReplyDelete